May 29, 2018
Loving Your Friend Through Cancer:
The diagnosis of cancer can be devastating. How do we come
alongside a friend who is suffering with cancer in practical ways?
Today, Marrissa Henley joins Karen Hodge to share about her battle
with cancer and those who fought with her by encouraging her to
keep her eyes on Jesus. She gives us practical ways we can minster
to the body, mind, and spirit of those walking through the shadow
- Describe your first reaction when someone you know is diagnosed
with cancer? Have you ever struggled to know how to respond?
- As a part of the Body of Christ, how does a cancer diagnosis
affect the whole body?
- Galatians 6:2 talks about bearing one another's burdens. How
can your community share the burden of another's cancer?
- Marissa described cancer as a "full time job you didn't want,"
and she shared that one way her friends came around her was by
reaching out without requiring a response. What are some of the
challenges a person suffering with cancer might face? How would
responding to people's kindnesses be a burden to someone with
- Marissa talks about both the community and the isolation she
experienced with cancer. How does she counsel us to listen as we
allow our friend with cancer to share authentically about her
fears, emotions, and challenges? Should we be quick to offer advise
or try to identify the struggle with one of our own?
- How are empathy and time important in really loving someone
with cancer well?
CDM strengthens the Church by connecting you to the
people and resources you need
Connect to Resources: